PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 31st Dec 2011, 15:37
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK465, thank you for correcting me, my pedantry selector is really set too low. Now we know there's absolutely nothing in FCS software that would pitch you up in ALTN2.

BOAC, the crew was faced with TCAS "Descend" and did not command pitch down. What do you think is expected pilot reaction when faced with TCAS RA? Perhaps:
Originally Posted by AAIB
For 18 seconds after the autopilot disengaged the aircraft remained within 200 feet altitude of FL 360 but once AoA law was invoked at 14:21:50 hrs, the aircraft’s attitude began to pitch nose-up. The pitchup
trend continued for 17 seconds reaching a peak of 15° nose-up shortly before the first nose-down sidestick command was applied.
..or not quite. "Descend, descend, descend" was issued at 14:21:41, first ND input was recorded at 14:22:07, mere second before TCAS gave up and degraded RA to TA as 340 was now above 330 and climbing.

Originally Posted by BOAC
the invocation of some bizarre AoA law that is going to cause the a/c to rear up on its tail and climb steeply,
Saying that alpha prot cause aeroplane to rear up on its tail is quite caricatural. Alpha prot's function must be known to every FBW Airbus pilot all the time, every time. As for labeling alpha prot "bizzare", this post refers.

no indication whatsoever
ASI full of low speed cues with speed eventually going below lowest slelectable, N1s rising uncommanded and aeroplane pitching up on her own accord. I'd say it is indication enough but that's just me.

I assume from your post that you would have been straight 'on the case' ad sorted it out immediately. Bravo.
Please don't assume that. Given the turbulence they were bouncing in, it is entirely possible that I would have made even bigger mess than the Turks did. It is ironic that if they left TLs in climb detent, autothrust would eventually have taken care of overspeed on its own. Yet if I made the same (or worse) mistake, eventually refused to accept it was my "to much, to soon, followed by too little, too late" that caused the incident and tried to blame the aeroplane for it, well, it would be criminally irresponsible of me. I'm not implying in any way that the incident crew or their airline did that, this statement is purely hypothetical.

Anyway, following StJohns and Bilbao mess ups, alpha prot has been desensitized. It would take a couple more seconds for it to activate nowadays in the same circumstances.

It's not about blame, it's about accurately analyzing what happened to prevent recurrence but then any aerospace professional knows that, I think. I guess. I hope.