PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do turbine engines require a compressor section
Old 31st Dec 2011, 09:53
Slippery_Pete

Received 375 Likes on 70 Posts
Oggers...

Crucially you now agree with what CW has been saying in principle, so well done, we are halfway there.
Regarding my agreement with Chris Weston, my posts have ALWAYS related to the thermodynamic efficiency of higher combustion ratios, and in fact not the question which was in the subject line of the OP (about the fundamental purpose of a compressor) until now.

I will happily admit that my explanation in my first post was not ideal, but then it wasn't meant to be. It was, infact, meant to be an easy way for someone with little or no knowledge of basic physics and conservation of energy to grasp the concept of minimising waste heat. It certainly wasn't supposed to be taken so literally, and after you chipped me on it, I clarified what I meant in subsequent posts (temperature change over the entire cycle).

the ignition timing is simply adjusted to ensure the maximum pressure in the cylinder is occuring at TDC
See above. It's obvious why this is not going to work (or will work very poorly), but allows people to conceptualise what is going on and what is trying to be achieved.

The fact remains that EVERY FN TIME you refuse to answer my question about two different compression turbines with the same fuel flow and the difference in their thermodynamic efficiencies. How many times have you avoided this now? I've asked AT LEAST 5 TIMES now how your "better mixing, flame front speeds" BS applies in this situation, but you simply refuse to answer.

YOU JUST DON'T KNOW seems to be the only explanation.

I'm still waiting.