PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whyanbeel accident near Cairns Oz
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2011, 03:02
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
An update on Chris and his recovery. Refreshing to see that the power company is reported as being proactive rather than the usual defensive response

WORLD-renowned pilot Chris Rose's biggest desire is to get back in the air, but his body won't let him.
Speaking for the first time since a helicopter crash at Whyanbeel Valley, near Mossman, on June 1, he admits his recovery has been "long, hard and slow".
A final Australian Transport Safety Bureau report into the accident has highlighted issues with the visibility of powerlines at the crash site, with a safety marker possibly blown off a line during cyclone Yasi and not replaced.
Mr Rose's efforts to land the Great Barrier Reef Helicopters-owned Jet Bell Range 206 upright after it hit the lines probably saved his life, and that of his three passengers.
It was pure instinct borne of 30 years experience in the industry – one that he is itching to get back to.
"It is really frustrating at the moment. Your head thinks you should be up and going, but the body won't let you," he told The Weekend Post.
"I will go back flying as soon as I can, but I have got to be able to pass my medical before I can do that, so I have a little way to go yet."
Mr Rose broke his back in three places in the crash, and passenger Peter Logan, a Cairns Regional Council employee, fractured his back in one place.
The men and two others were flying low over the terrain to spot weeds.
Mr Logan is back at work and while Mr Rose still has a long way to go, he has received support from not only his family, but those in the film and television industry he has come to know through working on movies such as Australia, and television shows including Survivor.
A normal day for him now includes going to physiotherapy and managing his pain. Wife Deb Rose said despite what the family had to endure, she was glad her husband was flying the helicopter that day.
"Even with all the pain and suffering Chris has been through, I still would not swap him flying that machine that day because the outcome would have been very different," she said.
The final report into the accident said the powerline was underneath the tree canopy and extremely difficult to see.
GBR has already taken internal action in a bid to stem further powerline incidents.
"As a result of the accident, the helicopter operator conducted a pilots' meeting to discuss the factors that led to the accident and highlight the hazards associated with that particular task as well as other similar tasks," the report said.
"The operator modified their pilot briefing notifications to highlight the potential hazards of operating at low level and to encourage increased pre-flight awareness and planning."
At the time, an Ergon Energy spokesman said the company would work with aviation industry representatives to develop strategies to help pilots avoid hitting powerlines.
Injured pilot dreams of day he can return to the sky