PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2011, 01:57
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
As an Ex HEMS Pilot (UK AS355 Unstabilsed Day/Night Capability) I have been fascinated by this thread.

Jack Carson. You do us all a disservice. If it is indeed "All down to the decisions taken by the PIC" please consider which outfit below you would like to make your particular decisions in:

1. Balloon, equipped with sextant and plum-bomb line for altitude. A Packet of sticking plasters, pair of washing up gloves and 2 x aspirin.

OR

2. State of the art ME-MPH IFR with modern lifesaving and first aid treatment equipment. Moving map/GPS/FMS/EFIS etc.

This thread just goes to prove we are all our own worst enemy because we are by nature optimists. We try to make the very best of what we are given.

But we need to be saved from ourown folly and eagerness. Thats what good regulation provides. An opportunity to set up an operation with the best possible chance of success. Embrace regulation and go one step further, mke it work for the better. Force the regulators to get tough.

I completed 1500 HEMS missions in my trusty old AS355 with no autopilot, often at night. At the time bright, shiny new machines in the same category were getting invented almost every day. Bells, whistles and computers. All designed to make life easier and therefore safer. I looked on in awe and wonder and not one day went by where I did not miss the autopilot. 30 seconds to look at a map without wobbling around. 1 minute to be able to program the awkward Trimble Transpac GPS at 300 feet AGL trying to reach the casualty without the harrowing fear of CFIT.

"Ahh! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for"

Flying EMS at Night in a B206 is not even a remotley sensible thing to try and do. If you are actively doing this kind of thing I feel very, very sorry for you, your medical team and your patients and concerned for all your safety.

I urge you to truly understand how these accidents come about and take all steps in your power to not become one of them. Fight for better equipment. Fight for better training. And for God's sake, use accidents like these as justification for your struggle rather than your prowess. Do not stumble on in denial believing what you are doing is safe. The facts prove that it is not.

On the other hand, technology, unsupported by training and checking and most important of all, recency, is worst than no technology at all. Many SPIFR/MPIFR accidents have written this argument in blood.

For all of you in HEMS/EMS. Keeping making those tough calls. Fly within your own limits and not necessarily the lower limits afforded by the regs.

If you are under contract to a health service, try to remember you Company was probably the lowest bidder. Treat their pressure accordingly!!

Above all, every EMS/HEMS Helicopter starts every mission loaded with live, healthy humans on board. The worse the accident you are attending, the less likely the victims will survive. Therefore consider just how appropriate the risks are that you take to try and save one person who might not survive against the risks of losing the healthy humans you already have on board. For HEMs crews these are the tough calls that have to be made. I wish you all luck and skill in your continued judgements.

For Shell Management. You message is sound but the messenger sucks! Sort that sh*t out man!!

My Best Regards to you all.