PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIRTANKER
Thread: AIRTANKER
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2011, 21:19
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew the VC10 on 101 in the early 90s for a number of years. I have flown the A330 for 10 years + and to be honest I don't see any major problems with the 2 man crew concept regarding fuel offload and navigation "outside of controlled airspace". The only puzzling thing now might be that RAS and RIS terminology has changed!

What made me laugh was that I called them up over a year ago, I told them I was ex RAF tankers, QFI, current A330 and TRI, they said please just apply through the online site and we will review your application. Well that was the last time I spoke to them and I won't be calling back ;-D

The HUGE amount of fuel and ability of the A330 compared to the VC10 will make the die hards one day realise that the new age of tanking is here and new technology will allow 2 crew to do it just as well. What makes me laugh is that the A330 is now "becoming" an old aeroplane in the civil world and as usual the RAF buy into "new" metal as it starts to become the old hack in the airliner fleets. You gotta laugh!!