PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2011, 21:16
Jack Carson

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Shell Management, I have to take exception to your comment. I retired into the US HEMS system and found the flying very rewarding and safe. The key to that safety was my ability to make go/nogo decisions unhampered by upper management (Omniflight, CJ Systems, AMC). Any pressure to go would have been self imposed. Having flown out of a remote South Western mountain base in single engine Bell 206s and A-Stars it was nice knowing that the only weather reporting available was my mark one eyeball. No one could or would ever dispute my call.

Each one of the mishaps you listed have there own story. As an example, the La Crosse mishap was a single pilot IFR certified aircraft with a SPIFR certified pilot that was not permitted to fly IFR due to a recent change in the operational vender. The FAA requires the new vender to train and certify the previous venders already certified pilot. As such the crew and aircraft capabilities were not available.

In the end it all boils down decisions made by the PIC. I believe that the term the NTSB frequently uses with respect to the cause of many mishaps is; “An unprofessional decision by the PIC”. Once again many can argue the number of pilots and engines but it all come down to the PIC.