PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A346 Climb Performance
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2011, 11:29
T.Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus A346 Climb Performance

I am an engineering student in the middle of writing my Diploma thesis. As a part of it I need to model a flight of the A340-600 from a performace persperctive and distinguishing between the different segments (T/O, CLB, CRZ, DES, HLD, LDG).

What I am having problems with is modelling the climb phase. Specifically I don't know how the thrust is regulated.

For all my calculations I am assuming ISA conditions (15*C & 1013hPa@MSL) and T/O at MTOW (365t)
I have assumed climb with constant IAS (250KIAS bellow 10000ft, then 320KIAS and M0.82 until TOC)

To be able to calculate the thrust I need to know another given variable for the climb phase, so my first questions is:

>> 1. Besides a given speed, what else do you have given? Is there a constant climb rate in feet/min or a constant pitch that you climb with?

If someone has access to some performance chart

>> 2. How long would the following climbs take or what climb rate could you expect assuming the conditions above

a) 1500' -10000' at 250KIAS
b) 10000' - 26500' at 320KIAS
c) 26500' - 29000' at M0.82 (or to a TOC you think would be suitable)

>> 3. What would suitable initial cruise altitude be?

>> 4. Roughly how much fuel do you use for T/O and climb, (I know it depends on a lot of things, but is it closer to 5, 10, 15, 20t?)

I'm greatfull for all any and help, even if it might not be directly revelent to the questions it might help on my way getting there.

If you need any more info on anything I will gladly provide you with it.