PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puma Crash Sentence
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2011, 08:20
Spot 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The significant difference between your Falklands scenario and the peacetime Rodeo is forethought.

The Falklands tasking that you mention would have been pre meditated and calculated. Most are confident that MSD & MSC can be reduced when the option is to wear a SAM up your chuff.

The Rodeo antics is/was/will be spontaneous. Human nature, especially when applied to the type of people we recruit (Failed Aviator DVD) pretty much mandates that when we 'get away with it' we push a little further next time. The buffers usually come from when you scare yourself or in this case kill yourself. I am quite sure the Wright brothers were exactly the same.

No excuses offered; simply my take on an explanation. FWIW I believe that in a three man crew, the LHS is 33% responsible, the Crewman likewise, and the Captain 34% unless protests are made at which point individual responsibilty is handed over to the Captain.

Puma in Portugal off on a sight seeing tour with insufficient fuel. (2 man crew) The Nav/Crewman had protested, even leaned on the collective, before transmitting to the world on HF that when the aircraft eventually crashes, he was having nothing to do with it. The aircraft did crash (albeit an impressive engine off onto a parade square) and the Nav was true to his word in the BoI afterwards. I believe the Captain now sells insurance.

Last edited by Spot 4; 30th Dec 2011 at 08:59.