PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Progression
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2011, 20:00
Delta106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ATPL Progression

Hi all!

I am 17 years old and have aspired to be a commercial airline pilot from a very early age. I've looked into training and decided that I'm going to take the modular JAA route into training. I have a part time job which will fund my lessons as I am currently in college studying A Levels and I am a member of the Air Cadets which gives me a bit of flight experience. My first lesson for the PPL will be on the 9th January at Liverpool Airport (Really excited!!! ) and I plan on having a lesson every two weeks.

I know I'm a long way from getting close to the ATPL at the moment, but I've been looking at the current job situation regarding pilots and a lot of UK airlines require a number of minimum hours as competition is fierce. I was wondering how exactly could I build up the 300 hrs you come out of flight school with, to a level that the airlines would deem 'acceptable'? Also, do A Levels have a large weighting whether the airlines hire you or not? I had very good passes at GCSE however, predicted D's and C's for the subjects I'm doing at A level, (Physics C, Geography C, and ICT D)

Many Thanks in advance for your answers!