PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't Tell Me the US Aviation Industry is Turning
Old 29th Dec 2011, 17:03
Flyer1015

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 10000 hours. 3000 hours PIC jet in 121 OPS and cant even get a response from any USA carrier. Delta-NO, US Air-NO, Southwest-NO, Atlas-NO, Kallita-NO, World-NO, then Skywest, Pinnacle, Air Wisconsin, Republic, PSA...All no...even no response from GoJet. Most I have letters of Recs and still no responses.

I am starting training as an Locomotive Engineer in March....Done with the BS in Aviation...good luck to all.
With those many hours, why the hell would you want to come to a regional? LOL! You = crazy!

But all joking aside, no one said the US aviation industry is turning. It isn't. Oil is still up, and projected to stay above 100/barrel for all of 2012. The economy is weak, and it's election season time, which means the fear mongering is well underway (war, economy, oil, etc). Not only that, I don't think there will be this big HUGE hiring wave that everyone keeps talking about. This is the aviation industry. Sure, there may be some robust hiring like how we had before in certain parts of the 80s and 90s, and even 2005-2007. But I honestly don't see a major "pilot shortage" as pilots keep claiming. Along with all those retirements, nothing says the airline will replace them all. With gas staying above 100 barrel for the foreseeable future, the airlines may just park a lot of fuel inefficient planes and not replace them. Lets be honest, for a country of only 300 million people, we have tons of airlines and tons of airplanes. The industry could "right-size" itself in the future, reducing the amount of airplanes and the amount of flying capacity offered. I'm not holding my breath on any major pilot shortage in the next 10 years.