PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Kills 3, Puts Transplant on Hold
Old 29th Dec 2011, 14:12
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And the airframe age makes no difference at all.
I dont buy this. As someone who has purchased/owned a number of aircraft over the last 30+ years and conducted even more logbook and prepurchase inspections, I believe that it is often very difficult to get an accurate picture of the true condition of an aircraft that is as old as the accident 206 in this case. A 35 year old aircraft will most likely have had multiple owners and pilots, and multiple maintenance shops. The written records are often sketchy or incomplete. Detecting abuse and substandard maintenance is not easy. An exception would be an aircraft that has had one owner and consistent maintenance to a high standard by a single shop (or something close to this). While it is possible that an older aircraft has been consistently operated and maintained to a high standard, I have yet to see such an aircraft in practice. Some may be comfortable with using an older aircraft on higher risk missions. I am not.

Last edited by EN48; 29th Dec 2011 at 14:40.