PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puma Crash Sentence
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2011, 13:14
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are characters and there are idiots. I would choose a person who is brave, loyal and not a risk taking thrill seeking idiot
I think you might be taking my post too literally and hopefully those that want to will see where I am coming from. I personally would back the 'brave loyal, and possibly risk taker???? to the enth degree. I would not tolerate having an idiot anywhere near me. I have highlighted 'risk taker' because the minute we play our games we are surely always going to be taking a calculated risk... It is all about judgement which I guess is very much a personal or individual quality. The 'idiot' is the fool that is incapable of correct risk analysis. More about this later.

My thoughts here are that the training appears to be more than adequate but clearly only a fool will think the system is perfect. Hopefully we will always have individuals that are prepared to go that extra mile, but to try to raise the bar of our training may well be asking too much of the average recruit. Again PLEASE do not read into this what is not there.... by 'average' I mean just that.

I am never and will NEVER condone the conduct of an idiot hence in every post (or most posts) I have always made it clear I am not condoning the actions of the pilot...

I am tempted to nail my colours to the mast and maybe stand by this co-pilot... He has paid an awful price for POSSIBLY being in the wrong place at the wrong time????? I say possibly because of that CVR....

Training should nurture the student, training should be all about developing skills that will stand pilots in good stead for a career that others can only dream of. It should not however be reckless or encourage risk taking ....

Other side of the coin...

It is a pitch black night in hurricane force winds... The wind is a blowing and the seas are high. we are on a small frigate close to the Artic circle, the decks are covered in ice and the commanding officer has requested the helicopter be launched for an urgent flight...

The ship is rolling well in excess of thirty degrees and going up and down faster than an express lift, the flight commander takes one look at the conditions and correctly decides his wasp will be staying in the hangar. It should be noted that prior to launching and when being recovered handlers need to both release and attach four canvas strops to the aircraft which prevent this aprocrita from sliding off the deck. Operating on an icy deck is not for the faint hearted especially in the conditions described.

The flight commander was summoned to the bridge where he had to justify the reasons for the refusal which he duly did. The C\O then sent a signal to the Squadron leader (Senior officer in command of the group) stating they were unable to launch the aircraft because of the prevailing conditions...

To cut a long story short, the helicopter from the senior frigate was launched and carried out the required flight, same type of ship, same type of aircraft, same conditions.

I am NOT criticising EITHER pilot, but lives depended on that flight, but I also accept lives were also put at risk... It is all about risk assessment and to me both pilots made exceedingly brave calls. When we sign up to wear the Queen's uniform then are we not signing up to a life where taking calculated risks is all part of our daily activities?

I have 'wittered' on here solely to highlight 'risk' assessment. Each pilot knew when to say no and each pilot's stance was respected.

Respect to ALL our brave service personnel