PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Blue crash was caused by Captain
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2011, 10:42
Reinhardt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I would also like to hear, with respect for the departed, the dressing-down the Capt. gave the F/O in his question-answer session in the cruise which evidently caused the latter such anguish.
Both pilots were experienced, but in a different way. The F16 Sqn Ld was obviously beginning to build his experience in airlines, the moment you still have to work yourself a little bit to be 100% familiar with the new job (I know, I was there) Then quite rapidly you overcome this and you realise this new position isn't very...challenging (sorry, guys) but the first couple of months, well you don't feel so great.
Now from the left sear and the CRM factor: sometimes you have to do with captains who spent their life intercepting localisers, after a training which they paid for somewhere in the States, and those individuals resent having to share the cockpit with something undoubtedly smarter, feel the need to make life miserable for this F/O coming from another world they have no idea about... (and yes, I was there also, at the receiving end)
They know they have to take advantage of their superiority now as it will be short-lived, and within one year or two the guy in the right seat will be performing better than they have been in the past 20 or 30 years (and in their case too much experience might be counterproductive, as they have been doing the same thing for so many years..)
so yes, a very small minority of those people are bullying ex-fighter pilots a little bit too much (during the first year, after that it's too late for them, until they get a new joiner again)
And all that can make a very, very silent cockpit (because you aren't going to start to challenge back you Captain, aren't you ?) and that's not good in some situations, as we all know...