PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Download "The Shepherd" By Frederick Forsyth
Old 29th Dec 2011, 03:38
The Old Fogducker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I can't be of any more help with respect to other works by Frederick Forsyth.

The Shepherd is stupendous though .... and my first exposure to it was when I was flying a group of school teachers from a very small town in northern Saskatchewan to the south for their Christmas holidays. It was an absolute perfectly clear night at the beginning of the trip, and everything was bang-on excellent with respect to my flight conditions, so I tuned in the regional high power transmitter of the CBC and listened on the ADF.

Nobody else was flying, and the ATC frequency was "deader than a doornail."

Within moments, the CBC began playing Alan Maitland reading "The Shepherd" and as the story of his flight in the Vampire unfolded, I began to fly over an undercast, soon transitioning into cloud, then some ice in the tops, and the flight terminated in an approach to minimums at the destination in wet snow about 10 minutes after the conclusion of the show.

While I was booting off the ice, hand flying the NDB approach in the pitch black, I almost expected to see another aircraft formate on my wingtip and give me a hand gesture to follow him on the approach.

It was quite a night, and I always think of that load of happy go lucky school teachers with a load of gift wrapped parcels getting away from a super-small northern community for Christmas Break whenever I listen to the well written and superbly performed version of "The Shepherd."

I'll be offering it again next year for people to enjoy.

Regards to everyone from,
The Old Fogducker