PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Crash caught live on TV, Auckland, NZ
Old 29th Dec 2011, 00:21
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Mmmm, I think you missed the point of this one ShyT.

I am referring to the visual evidence on the video that shows the experienced rigger jumping up to grab hold of the wire, just before he yanks it into the blades. Now then, by virtue of the fact that he has to jump up to catch the wire and then gravity taking over returning him to Earth, his body is the 'earthing' which the aircraft/load would need.

I can see what you mean if you are saying that there would be no earthing problem as the ac is attached to the line which is attached to the mast, which is bolted to the ground. However I would ask, how electrically earthed are all those 'joints'. I would say that even with modern ac static dischargers, the potential for a substantial static build up in all those elements of the job is fairly large.

All I am saying is that for a very experienced rigger in this field not to be using an earthing strop/lead/hook may not have been 'best practise'.

And you?
As for experience, there was no personal element to my post, but if you're going that way, and as you ask, my experience with USLs began in 1981 and varies from ground handling to piloting experiences with a variety of aircraft such Scout/Gazelle/Lynx/Wessex/Puma/Sea King and Chinook, in a variety of theatres including Germany to the Falklands and NI to Hong Kong/Brunei.

Oh, and then there was the time not too long ago when the downlink aerial wouldn't raise on our return to base one day...that could have been funny if we kept quiet