PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blimey complete phimats on ebay for £180
Old 29th Dec 2011, 00:01
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
Courtney

Yes, I believe it was weight as CSAS couldn't cope IIRC. I was, am, a big fan of the Lincolnshire Land Shark, and will spring to its defence on unfair criticism, but there were some barking things that went on with it for short spells of its 25 years in service; like uncontained engine let-goes, Radar mods that took an age to fix against some of our likely adversaries, the fitment of too small a flare in GW1 (and the lengthy retrofit), the re-measurement of everyone for the single and twin stickers that were over 6ft tall (and the subsequent grounding of those found too big that had flown in it for years), the retiscence to fit AMRAAM/ASRAAM until way too late, the TRD lash-up, the early austere AMRAAM "wishile", the JTIDS fleet-within-fleet, the Stage 1+ fleet-within-fleet, the CSP fleet-within-fleet, are all debacles I care to forget!

I was sad when I waved goodbye to the old girl at LEU earlier this year at the weekend thrash in the Mess and the hangar.

BTW, just read your blog with great interest and I hadn't realised that you had the uneviable task to ID Stu and Norm at TPMH - what a dreadful thing to have to do as a Flt Cdr

Happy New Year, mate, and I hope 2012 is good to you.

LJ