PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If one fails Class 1 Medical, what other options?
Old 28th Dec 2011, 20:00
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had similar concerns back in 1980 when I decided that 3 years spent as a flying instructor (which at that time you could legally do with a PPL / Class3 (?) medical ) may as well lead me to a ATPL as I had the prerequisite 1500hrs to do it the "old way".
My main concerns were A- I was cr@p at Maths, & B - my eyesight

The Maths was OK due to excellent instruction at City of London Poly which enabled me to surpass anything I had ever managed at school, although much of the credit is due to neccessity being the mother of invention . . if I didn't achieve it = no licence, a great motivator.
My medical fears were exacerbated by the guy who did my PPL medical telling me, "well that is OK , but don't think of doing a CPL/ATPL you are out of limits"
As the kindly Doc who did my initial Class1 in the CAA "rocket" building in the centre of London explained, the other Quack was "nearly" right. My myopia was indeed at the max allowable for an initial Class1 , but, he reassured me, would be no problem come renewal time as an allowance was made for deterioration, & even a successful appeal could be justified by virtue of successfully operating for decades without bumping into things.
32 years later, I still scrape through, at the lower end of the visual acuity scale, but it is enough.

Simple answer, find out (or someone here will probably tell you toute suite) the limits for an initial. If you fall within this range, go NOW and do one,because, as I said, renewal limits were (still are? ) lower & you will have it in the pocket.
If you truly want to fly, fess up mate , do the medical, hopefully pass it, & forget any ideas of "what else can I do" unless the result of your medical forces your hand.
Better to put your mind at ease ASAP, or in a worst case scenario, stop dreaming about what you can't have & start making alternative plans.
Depending on your exact problem, I believe laser ops & the like are acceptable, if a year or so is allowed for scar tissue problems etc to be eliminated. . . so "the end", may not neccessarily be so either.
Keep your chin up, & find out exactly where you stand & whether you can do anything about it if Reqd.