PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wrist watches...
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2011, 19:23
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please explain the inherent superiority of mechanical watches! They are less accurate.
It depends on what you want a watch for. If you want accuracy, then the built in clock in your phone is all you need. The reason you're buying a mechanical or automatic watch is that you enjoy the craftsmanship and the engineering that goes into such a design. Accuracy, even though they like to sell them on that, is at least for me not very important. One could argue that a souped up Ford Focus is as fast as a Porsche, but that doesn't really make them the same thing.

I'm a total watch snob and will freely and widely admit that I judge people on what they have on their wrists. I find most watch brands to be abhorrently ugly. Overworked and lacking in good design. What's worse - 99% of them don't make their own movements - they buy them from big companies like ETA (Swatch) etc and that's why they're all virtually the same. To this snob, only 5 watches pass my minimalistic design criteria. Unfortunately, they're almost all in the $10K+ range, so it'll have to wait until I've found a way to get my Aero Commander to run on water.

Sarpaneva:
Sarpaneva Korona K2 Kaamos Automatic | World Watch Review

Panerai (one of the few who make their own movements):
http://www.panerai.com

Alain Silberstein. Whacky 80's design, but I love the simple chunky shapes:
Alain Silberstein - KRONO BAUHAUS II - KRONO BAUHAUS II KT 401 B - ?BLACK? | Worldtempus

Corum's Admirals Cup series in their simplest form are pretty clean:
Corum - Admiral's Cup - Admiral?s Cup Legend 42 | Worldtempus

Rado's re-release of their classic 70's DStar satisfies the anal minimalist in me:
Rado: Unique Swiss designer watches

The Ikepod has become a classic already:
Marc Newson’s Ikepod time « melange