PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2011, 16:03
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP and condolences to all those involved in another tragic accident.

I have to agree with Devil49. I too fly HEMS in the rural areas of the SE USA. The easy days/nights are the ones where the weather is either really good, or really bad. Those in between and especially at night, where reporting stations etc aren't always available make some decisions very difficult indeed, even when always erring on the absolute side of caution. I doubt there are many here who have not had to abort a flight for weather at some point in their career despite our best intentions to never have to make that decision 'up there'. There is no sense of invulnerability here.

Having flown under FAA and European regs, it seems that the FAA and operators alike are doing all they can to mitigate the risks of our business. Some more than others perhaps, but at the end of the day no matter what guidelines or tools are put at our disposal the old adage goes you can take a horse to water but..... so in the interim I hope that we can all take any lessons to be learned from this event and remind ourselves that we operate in a challenging job with little room for error.