PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines given permission to fly over North Pole for the first time..
Old 28th Dec 2011, 13:50
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paxboy,

He said the only reason that he did all of those adverts for American Express was to get free publicity. MoL does the same, in a slightly different way.
Except MOL can't do ads for Amex as his airline refuses to take the card, even if they could just charge a £10 fee for the privilege.

I suggest that criticising someone for doing their job very well is curious. I realise that not everyone likes the man, or what he has achieved
I have enourmous respect for both SRB and MOL - far more so than the spoilt child that Stelios has become, especially as SRB & MOL might have had the private education, but they didn't have daddy's billions.

However, I think SRB is exactly as you say - very much a publicity machine, not a technical person. Asked whether his trains would be diesel or electic, he is reputed to have answer 'I don't know' - and why should he have cared, most passengers don't either, except that diesel trains are the rail equivalent of trijets, if you want serious speed or economy, you need the wires!

So in this context, it is legitimate to point out that '4 engines for longhaul' - derided by many at the time as an opportunistic tagline, was well and truly a shorthaul policy, conveniently dropped about a year before the first twinjet order was made.

If he is getting free publicity for what is largely a non-story, then fair play, and even more so for pointing out what there would be to see from the window on such flights, when so many pax are glued to an IFE system which is always going to be inferior to what you can get at home.