PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The negative aspects of LCC's
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2011, 13:22
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
WHBM
How else do you describe default-ticked check boxes ...
Hotel Tango
many of these so-called LCCs are not in fact that much cheaper ... I gladly use Air Berlin but stay well away from Ryanair.
In reverse, I agree that Air Berlin is good, along with Norwegian. I buy on a number of factors of which price is but one. For many, price is the only factor.

Yes, WHBM, it can be irritating - especially when you find that some aspect of the form filling has not worked and they return you to the page with a red warning and so you examine the details you have filled in. Meanwhile, they have automatically 'rechecked' all the default boxes that you 'unchecked'. Consequently, I do not use them again (websites selling things other than aircraft tickets do the same) and advise friends not to.

Why am I not more irritated by this? I have grown cynical and assume that everyone IS trying to rip me off. I have come to think the worst of just about every seller on the planet. I find this a better route than being irritated/angered. The world has changed from when I was a child and, even if there are aspects of it that I do not like, there is nothing I can do about it except not use these companies. If I find they are the only supplier for a given product/service, then I approach with care.

L'aviateur
I'm embarrased for the country when we allow ourselves to become known as untrustworthy.
But we ARE unstrustworthy! The UK is 'at the end of empire' and this kind of greed, double dealing, and decandent decline is what ALL successful countries will eventually come to. One of the most well documented examples being The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, by Edward Gibbon. There is a fascinating statement in that article:
According to Gibbon, the Roman Empire succumbed to barbarian invasions in large part due to the gradual loss of civic virtue among its citizens.
There is a little way yet to run before total collapse in the UK but it is inevitable and just mankind doing what mankind does. So, when doing anything in the UK, bear in mind what the Romans said: Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware!