PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Kills 3, Puts Transplant on Hold
Old 28th Dec 2011, 11:43
Bladecrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And in time we may learn, as I hope to, from this episode.
Peter3127 - the problem in the US is exactly that, they don't, this scenario keeps happening again and again...

Shawn Coyle makes a very valid point regarding "night VFR", with which I agree totally. There have been some unqualified comments regarding use of twin engine helicopters for this type of mission by those that obviously don't know any better.

Having flown both a B206 at night, and a modern A/P equipped fully IFR certified twin at night I know for sure in my mind which aircraft is most suited to this type of mission. (Assuming the pilot holds a valid IR and is current on instruments of course) Also I believe that this type of flight can be safely carried out by a single pilot (in an IFR twin) if so qualified, however 2 pilots would add an extra level of safety.

I mean no disrespect to the pilot involved who by all accounts was extremely experienced, but there can be NO DOUBT that to undertake this kind of mission, in a B206, single pilot at night, in poor weather was extremely high risk, and experience alone does not make up for having the odds stacked against you.

My condolences to all involved.
BC.