PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - moving to QATAR
Thread: moving to QATAR
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2011, 11:29
Black Pudding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you could do your move over again what would you bring with you to Qatar?

Nothing, everything you need is here. Make sure you have a good laptop as you need one.

What does it cost per month to rent a car until established?

1750 Ryals a month which is about 500 dollars. I have been hiring for over a year now and see no reason to buy.

Should I buy a phone in the US and bring it with me?

Buy a phone when you get here and then buy a pay as you go sim card from Qtel when you arrive. Its easy and simple. You could call the US from it as well. Just make sure you have Skype on your laptop and at home for your bride to be and family to keep in touch

What is the best calling card or plan to secure both for relatives in the US and for me once I arrive?

See above

I am single and a FO so if I am put in company provided housing will it be possible at some point to move out of this provided housing?

You can apply for the allowance, but may take a while. You get it in order of who has asked and going down the list of whose next. You could move out to somewhere you want to be. Best advice, is do nothing for a year until you know if you want to stay long term. What's the rush.

How are college classes? Do they exist? Or is everything on-line?

Yes they exist, You can do CBT on your laptop in your own time or go to the classes rostered for you

I understand that we are paid in local currency into a local bank account. How easy it to transfer money into my US bank account to pay stateside bills? Also what are the fees?

I am with IBQ bank and get 2 free transfer a month. I have to pay recieving charges for my bank bank in my home country.

If you get married to someone from back in the US and you want to bring her over is this an easy task? If not what are the pitfalls? Other than getting married ;-)

Some love it here and some don't. You hear more from those that don't like it as all they do is moan and slag the place off. I would say more like it here than hate. My wife is very happy. You and your good lady will make lots of new friends and its a safe place to be. Best thing to do is get out here, get line checked then plan to get married and get your lady out here. Its very simple. Lots of wife's out here and most having a good time.

Anything else you need to know, just ask

Last edited by Black Pudding; 28th Dec 2011 at 14:25.