PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you land in the "nearest suitable runway:?
Old 28th Dec 2011, 06:23
I-2021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if you had an emergency and warning "land asap", what exactly do you do?
Hi,

the only answer to your question, in my opinion, is : it depends. It depends on the nature of your problem and therefore how much time do you have, it depends on the environment, it depends on weather conditions, on your airplane status (ldg distance procedure), on particular notams (closure of a portion of the runway somewhere, no ILS, etc..), on your personal preferences (flying 5 minutes more and landing is some places where you have flown hundreds of approaches ?), on commercial benefits for your company (putting the airplane on a military runway in the middle of nowhere?), on airport RFF, etc.. so basically a bunch of items to consider before deciding that you want to go somewhere. If you have time because you are not burning and your engines are working and you have still some fuel, use that time to consider all the aspects that you can think of.

If it were to happen, you obviously don't have time to look for the approach plate, get the ATIS, yada yada. What now?
Again here it depends. What problem do you have ? How much time do you have before you need to be on the ground ? 1 min ? 10 min ? More ? Use your time, don't rush it more than needed.

Also, do you just click on the airports push button and see the nearest airports close to you, pick one and land?
The closest airport function is a very good tool, but if that was the only button to press to decide a diversion, crews would be paid much less I guess