PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ground speed
Thread: ground speed
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 21:29
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
a small change in the pitch attitude results in a fairly big change in the airspeed.
depends on the aircraft. Clean, slippery gliders and draggy trainers are very different beasties. Hang out the flaps or the airbrakes and things change, naturally. BUT if you know the machine at all well you should be able to fly the attitude. Hell, that's the basis of visual flying anyway. GPS will be handy for the nav, of course, but I wouldn't care to do the maths on approach.The feel of the aircraft should be telling you something unless you are flying in boxing gloves. Mostly the runway at any airfield used for training will be plenty long enough to land a light single even if you are a touch fast on final and float out the landing. Unless you routinely add a few knots for the wife and kids, plus some more for the full fuel and a few knots more for the wind on the nose, and get used to a grossly overfast final anyway.......I wouldn't be using an AH for this, just the one I see out of the window. It's bigger and better.

Ok, now tell me I fly the world's slowest draggiest aircraft anyway, so WTF do I know?

Last edited by Piper.Classique; 27th Dec 2011 at 21:32. Reason: thought about a few other things to say