PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of VHF Airband Transciever
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 20:37
fwjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've once texted ahead to a destination strip whilst flying a non-radio aircraft to confirm weather conditions. "wx?" doesn't take long to type. That gave me the information to decide between a diversion to an airfield nearby or to continue. Who says you have to fly over 2000'?

If you're flying aircraft that have enough gizmos and electricity to run them, then you should be worried about maintenance standards if you're planning on carrying a handheld as backup. If you are flying home build or vintage machines with limited or non-existent electrickery, then make the choice to fly non-radio if necessary.

One of the aeroplanes I fly is a Permit type with no electrics. We use a single handheld with a battery and a standby back up battery. If the radio fails the aeroplane keeps flying without any degradation of performance. Others that I fly either have a twin radio stack giving redundancy of operation built in, or no radio at all, in which case the issue of radio failure is rather moot.

Just IMO. I'm sure there are other people here who have different opinions and perspectives. As they say, YMMV.