PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Blue crash was caused by Captain
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 19:32
maajam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is pertinent to ask what would have happened to that F/O if he had pushed that "side-stick priority" button in front of him and announce firmly: "MY aeroplane".

Well, they would all be alive to begin with. The Capt. would have thrown his considerable weight about and charge the F/O with mutiny and insubordination but given the mood of the judiciary and the vibrancy of the Pakistani media, the story would have got out. The F/O would have leaked it himself if he felt threatened and he would have petitioned the High Court/Supreme Court if his services had been terminated.

I would like to think the ending would have been a good one, a wake-up call to other god-like captains with all F/O's around the world feeling a new sense of empowerment!

I accept all the valuable points made about CRM by the writers above. Sadly, this young fellow did not have it in him (youth, inexperience, humbled and over-whelmned) even as he knew, as he surely did by his words, that his inaction would lead to his end.

But I take comfort from the fact that the good pilots out-weigh the bad by an overwelmning margin which helps make commercial flying as safe as it is -- despite the recent spate of accidents about which I have read here -- analysed with great clarity and insight.

This forum should be required reading for every airline!