PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor CRM or Company SOPs?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 17:40
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't see anything wrong with the handover of controls. The hand movement of the captain is in our company the only correct one, a very nice example of how to do it correctly.

It prevents to FO from moving his hand too soon (which happens a lot when trying to be "polite") since he might have to do a go-around. It prevents the CPT from moving his hands on the throttles too late. In short: 50ft above the ground is not the place where you spare time so "positive transfer of control" is required.

We have a similar situation on takeoff, when FO is PF and keeps his hand on the throttles untill captain confirms "takeoff thrust set" and takes over the throttles. Same methodology is used because at full takeoff thrust, there isn't a period of time where you want the throttles to be "unattended by hands". If I don't feel the cpt's hand crawling under mine, I'm not letting go of the throttles. No way. I do "curl" my hand to kind of "show" that he's supposed to take over the throttles.

Now as for the "cleanup" procedures: the only issue is not really landing lights, but the fact that he needs to start with the spoilers :-), since it's a "go" sign for the cleanup (if runway vacated). Landings lights he can still do, he still is the captain. Same with the FD which you normally keep on untill shutdown. But many pilots don't like the ridiculous layout of the PFD during taxi. Aaaah procedures :-)