PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Blue crash was caused by Captain
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 16:17
maajam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC,

Sir, I would have thought pairing with a more mature F/O who may have learnt some real-life CRM lesssons himself may have been more prudent. Not this young chap with less than 300 hours in-type. In his case, he should be been flying with a less experienced, younger captain, if you see what I mean. It would have made for better "vibrations".

F-16's in the PAF would not teach him CRM. So he must have taken one course during gaining proficiency in-type and who knows how much he absorbed.

Put someone old enough to be his father next to him with more years of flying experience than his age (34), and you have a very intimidated puppy. Not to mention the drubbing he got in the cruise.

And fate intervened. Capt. Choudhry was only rostered to fly the night before.

I am not making excuses for the F/O and, yes, BOTH, pilots were to blame, maybe the F/O more than the captain since the latter was confused and had lost SA. The F/O had not and knew where they were heading. "Terrain is coming, Sir".

The recent Air India Express accident at Mangalore was another example. That was a good report. Late descent meant they were coming down like a rocket. The F/O called "unstabilized" and then "go around" but that may have been more of a question. When they floated, he called "go around" again.

I could have some of the sequence wrong. Read the report some time ago.

In that case, deference to a "foreign" pilot?! They hate them because they feel they are taking away jobs from the natives. But complexes, also culturally ingrained, are not easily overcome. The captain was not a Brit., their former colonial masters. But he was "white".