PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burnout in the pilot profession
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 10:50
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had fifty years in the business including 25 years in the airlines, 22 as a captain.

All I remember, apart from great crews, is the relentless, thoughtless demands of the company. There was no regard for a family life, proper rest patterns, total ingratitude when a job was still successfully completed against the odds and then a regular fight to get a decent salary for the job I loved.
Worst of all was the coercion when we had the audacity to suggest that the limit was being exceeded. We were always short of sufficient crewing requirement, you see.

Like many of us, I had wanted to fly since my Dad first made me a model aeroplane at the age of about seven. The local airfield was a magnet as soon as I could ride a bike.
I was totally focussed and again, like some, I got there.

Best thing I ever did was to retire at 60 and start doing aeros again !
Reminded me of why I had put myself through the pressure of military boards, numbers of subsequent civilian interviews and the airline treadmill.

The best bits ? The military camaraderie, instructing, aeros and now STILL working for myself doing the flying I want to do. I think I may finally even be getting quite good at it !

....But now I'm afraid I actually pity the guys in the glass-cockpit, FBW environment.

Sad, isn't it ?

Last edited by Sleeve Wing; 27th Dec 2011 at 11:00.