PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long to wait - FAA, new rating, filed by pen&paper...
Old 27th Dec 2011, 08:16
MAW CPH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys - you don't get it

The temporary license is not accepted by many companies (in/outside the US) or for that matter other countries CAA. It might give you the right to fly privately but in 99% of all cases no commercial operator will 'give' you a job before you have the real deal, the plastic license and it can be verified on the FAA-website. I had a job offer, therefore I couldn't wait 3 months!

I added two ratings in the US but I couldn't get my working permit and start in my new job in country X before the ratings showed up on the FAA-website. Temporary licenses is not good enough as proof, the immigration and CAA of country X need to verify the info on the faa.gov-official page.

As I did the two ratings within one week with two different examiners I can verify that the one via IACRA showed up on the FAA-website after 8 days and the plastic licenses was received in around 17 days later (in Europe). The pen&paper rating would properly not have been processed before mid-january 2012 acc. to the FAA-Oklahoma office. But I called them and explained the situation and they tracked down my rating application. It turned out it was still at the local FSDO. It was mailed express to Oklahoma and then fast tracked

I tell this story so that anyone else in a hurry that goes FAA can learn and ask the examiner when booking her/him if they use IACRA. For me IACRA is to prefer over pen&paper. You see your new rating being filed as you have to sign in with your personal password to acknowledge the checkride you just performed and passed - and then the examiner can print out a temporary license from the IACRA-website.

Cheers,

Last edited by MAW CPH; 27th Dec 2011 at 22:40.