PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snow Clearance
Thread: Snow Clearance
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 07:31
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WP, it sounded the same as Jan 80 when I was there at the start in a Nimrod.

We had set out for Woodford to drop a team of expert experts from ISK (we were just experts). The weather was delta sierra so we diverted to Finningley but that went out too. So we lobbed in to Waddo.

Waddo was 8/8 blu 96M viz. It was cold. Maybe there was a clue.

The crew declared that we would go to the feeder for lunch - we had already rationed for the usual maritme feast but they wanted to sample bomber's finest cuisine.

I nipped across to 50 to see some mates. While I was there it rained. Still 8/8 blu. When I went to go to the feeder it was sheet ice. In the feeder we indeed sampled bomber's finest but failed to notice through the steamed up windows that it was now 8/8 blk.

We then made another a bum decision and persuaded MT to drive us to Marham, our ultimate destination. We just got passed the guardroom when the MT driver, making the most sensible decision so far, threw the towel in. The second good decision was to pull in to the OM.

The bright spot was I was then able to walk in to North Hykeham and get some spares for my car. I had started on the bus but it was quicker on foot.