PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long to wait - FAA, new rating, filed by pen&paper...
Old 27th Dec 2011, 07:15
VJW

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
B2N2 took the words out of my mouth.

Unlike in Europe the FAA examiners have the ability to sign you a temporary certificate that allows you to operate on the aircraft you've just that minute passed a checkride with. In the UK, while you can have it added to your licence on the same day, this requires a trip to the CAA office to do so. Otherwise posting it off, means at least a 2 week wait before you are able to exercise the new rating etc. As said above, the temporary certificate is valid for 120 days now (use to be 90 I believe until the FAA had trouble keeping up with the licence issues within that time) - so I too am struggling to see the problem here.

The fact you don't have the original licence, and that your details haven't been updated on the FAA website is totally irrelevant. Your temporary certificate is legal, and allows you to fly immediately and it's a great system they have in the US. Not to mention it's FREE. So go fly and stop moaning on here for no reason!