PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 27th Dec 2011, 02:29
YorkshireTyke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aterpster

The suggestion to be locked under the stairs is, of course, farcical, but it was first mooted to me many years ago by a retiring Captain, who said that he was going to do something like that every now and again in his retirement, with the occasional snack meal thrown in on a tray, so that he would never forget the terrible conditions that he had, at times, had to work under!

One of my early instructors expressed the opinion that one became 50% less intelligent as soon as the wheels left the ground, I thought he was being terribly rude about an early attempt at re-flight planning to a diversion, but over the years I learned what he was on about, under stress, and with everything apparently falling apart, there are times when the brain seizes up, and the Simulator can't think of everything during training.

I think there is little doubt now as to what happened, but do we know WHY ?

The technical investigation is over, but is is not time to now start the CRM, Human Factors, investigation into what made them act in the way they did ?

The Monday Morning Quarterbacks have the benefit of working in their air conditioned lounge, with subdued lighting, and soft music, maybe a beer or two at hand, a privilege denied that crew working during normal sleeping time, at night, in and out of the ITZ - we're told. Try doing it locked in a cupboard, as I suggested.

Apologies if this point of view has already been covered, I have neither the time nor the energy to trawl through the whole thread again !

Cheers.