PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expert Aussie FI advice most appreciated
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2011, 12:04
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I became an instructor straight from flying school at age... 27! My age has never hindered me at all.

A career in flight instruction (assuming you stay in flight instruction) can lead to being manager or chief instructor at a large flying school in a capital city. This would typically be a desk-bound position.

Alternatively it can lead to being a flight examiner, being responsible for assessing whether young pilots have the skills to progress to the next grade of license or rating. Not desk-bound at all, this would allow your significant other to keep flying.

Either option would be well paid (similar to a turboprop captain) but perhaps not quite as secure as an airline job.

After eleven years in GA, but not in GA any more, I'm convinced that "the best gig" is the one you want to do that pays enough to raise a family. I've seen so many people whinge and moan about very good jobs just because they are bored or feel trapped. Not at all suggesting your husband would be a whinger, just reflecting on life in GA and the grass-is-greener-over-there syndrome.