PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Storm McGinley
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2011, 11:14
Flyingstig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widered, I assume that in pursuit of a stronger union you are at very least a company rep if not a union official.
If conditions in Ryan are so appalling I would expect to hear calls for action (strike).
One must assume that people who are considering what are clearly poor contracts are in dire straits. There are a lot of people out there who are unemployed through no fault of their own. They need to feed their families and pay the bills. £64 a week jobseekers allowance won't go far!
You vociferously advocate that they join a union. If they do, what will your union do for them? Will it put food on their table? Will you activate the union members in your company to support them.
Or will you be faced with reluctance on the part of those who are on better T&Cs,not wishing to jeopardise their position? (I'm old enough, and been in the job long enough, to be cynical!)
I've seen how other pilot unions have behaved in the past, perhaps you and
your members will surprise me this time.
Surely you must have enough union members in the company now to really put pressure if you wanted to? Perhaps it's time to demonstrate to those you wish to recruit what your solidarity can achieve.
Good luck to those in work, and to those who are not, don't give up!
A safe 2012 to all.