PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expert Aussie FI advice most appreciated
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2011, 11:10
dlx_xlb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi... In answer to your questions...

1) Which state in Australia would present the best opportunities with regards to flight instruction work? We are going to WA next year for my work but we're originally from Victoria.

Id probably say WA... CSWAFC and SFC... Have a high turnover of instructors..
However there are plenty of opportunities in other states.. But trying to find an instructing gig in WA... I dont imagine to be hard..

2) Do you think some time spent up north or elsewhere in GA is necessary to be a successful and/or competent flight instructor?

Definitely helps.. But not necessary

3) Where can a career in flight instruction lead to, if you're good? What are some of the best gigs going around?

Airlines, Other GA flying gigs flying bigger and better equipment..
Management level in flying schools... Testing officer.. (good money if your independent.. $600 a test)

4) He's 27 (he tells me this is old to start flying, given his 11 year hiatus) and as I said earlier, colour blind. Are there going to be any issues that come out of the woodwork because of these two factors, or is CASA's sweet little email as reassuring as it seems?

In GA... If you hold a class 1 medical.. Thats all you really need... GA jobs don't require an additional medicall, Just make the boss some money..
Colour blindness depending on how bad it is.. Shouldn't affect a CPL and GA jobs... It is however pretty big with the airlines.. I had to sit a pretty extensive Colour Blindness test for my Medical...

At 27.. Is not too old... If your only looking at a career in GA thats fine.. If your looking to get into airlines.. I'd say the upper limit is 30-35..

Last edited by dlx_xlb; 27th Dec 2011 at 07:38.