PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When a company SOP deliberately contradicts FCTM advice without valid reason.
Old 25th Dec 2011, 21:40
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpagueur320,
FCOM2 Chapter 4:
Minimum speed is based on angle of attack and is approximately 1.3 Vs for the current flap configuration. It is sensed by the angle of attack vanes, one on either side of the forward fuselage.
Hence, with G-loading from bank and gusts, even when on correct speed, the stall speed may increase and factored with 1.3 may exceed commanded speed. Amazing that the proponents of this feature have been unable to give this simple answer, despite being asked several times.

I completely agree with you about setting go-around thrust. A well (normally) trained pilot should be perfectly capable of manually (gosh!) adjusting the thrust levers that the result is 1000-2000 feet pr. minute just like the auto throttle would have.

BOAC,
the auto throttle is does exactly what written above (gives you an arbitrary rate between 1000-2000 feet pr. min). It's not certified in any way and is no way guaranteed to give you exactly 2000 fpm. YOU have to figure out if 1000-2000 fpm is enough to meet the required climb gradient for the missed approach. Obviously mostly it would be.

Further, I would be very interested if you can point me to the document that says that I am required to set full go-around thrust in my vastly overpowered aircraft. All the documents I have seen says that I must to meet the required gradient for the missed approach.

Last edited by cosmo kramer; 26th Dec 2011 at 10:52.