PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Helicopters Ltd
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2011, 09:38
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two for the price of one!

Late one November, probably 1990 or thereabouts, I read an advert in one of the local papers in Galway that Santa Claus would be paying a visit to the Dunnes Stores supermarket at Terryland, arriving there by helicopter. Curious to see what machine would be doing the job, I hopped on my bike and pedalled down to the shop at the appointed time. It turned out it was a Jet Ranger and, if I recall correctly, it was operated by Westair. The landing was uneventful, Mr. Claus exited and was greeted with cheers from the gathered crowd of children. The helicopter took off and turned out to the left and it looked like it was heading off towards Carnmore Airport. It didn't gain too much altitude though and maintained a left-hand circuit. It then started descending again and made an approach into the Galway Shopping Centre, which if you know the area, is adjacent to the Dunnes Stores Supermarket. I pedalled furiously to the new landing site to see yet another crowd gathered to welcome the helicopter in the car park there. Much to my horror, I witnessed a second Santa Claus exit the Jet Ranger. I hope none of the kids at the first drop glanced across the road to witness the arrival of this imposter. They could have been scared for life!

Happy Christmas.

500 Fan.

Last edited by 500 Fan; 25th Dec 2011 at 16:26.