PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diamond DA42V1
Thread: Diamond DA42V1
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2011, 22:01
Hodja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a "World" cruiser, though, the Jet A feature is hard to beat, and makes this stand out compared to a Cirrus. Outside Europe, US & Aus/NZ, sourcing avgas can be a right pain.

And twin engines across open oceans does make this one a slightly better option travelling with non-pilot passengers. (at least in terms of passenger perception/acceptance)

Frankly for either to be better they would need to be pressurised or another 50 knots found otherwise it is all symantics.
Completely agree. An extra 20-30 kts on top of the original DA42 Thielert 1.7 is a very nice addition, but doesn't elevate the DA42 anywhere near the next class. (turbine, pressuration, wx radar...) It would merely bridge the embarrasing performance shortfall between the original DA42 and its targeted competition. I mean, who would want to buy a brand new twin that tops out at 155 ktas at FL110?!

I'd still say though, that if the (untested) Austro's can go the distance, the DA42 V1 really has the potential to hit the sweet spot as a very nice modern design personal twin piston tourer in the USD500-800k bracket.

Unfortunately the Thielert saga left an ocean of badwill, so it's an uphill battle at best.

But I'll still be keen to follow the performance data for the DA42 V1 when they're released in march 2012. If it delivers an honest 185 ktas at FL110 using 12-13 gph of Jet A (or, say ~200 ktas at FL160) and the Austros can go the distance, this bird would definitely be on my list...

Most turbocharged piston IFR tourers will do FL250 or so but almost none of them make TBO without changing some cylinders (or worse).
I've seen the Corvalis 400 doing FL250. However, I wonder how many owners actually fly at this level in real life. I personally feel unpressurised pistons really aren't the proper platform for this kind of flight profile...

Last edited by Hodja; 25th Dec 2011 at 07:51.