PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 24th Dec 2011, 18:59
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

As I understand it BMI are just becoming another company under the IAG group umberella. Therefore the hiring and firing of one company has no legal relevence to another i.e. if Iberia were to down size, its pilots could not expect a job at BA and the same will apply to BMI. Moral obligations are another matter.

In the banking world Halifax would be free to recruit even if Bank of Scotland were laying people off, and they are part of the same group. Workers at one company might get a free pass to the interview stage at the recruiting company but would join at the bottom of the seniority list (if they had one).

There seems to be a consensus that the BA T&Cs are better than BMI mainline. Is this the case? I thought the reason that BMI is bankrupt is down to excessive costs including wages? If not would BMI pilots accept a reduction in conditions?

As bluepilot said I also think this will take years to complete. The cost savings will initially come from:

Bmi mainline to bring significant synergies through:
•cost synergies via elimination of overhead, scale benefits and more efficient use of slots
•revenue synergies via optimisation of the expanded network, enhanced customer offering
I am, as always, happy to be corrected.

All the best

and a merry christmas and a prosperous new year to all