PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - recruiting freeze
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2011, 16:51
5 Forward 6 Back

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PN, there are still some military sim jobs out there; I've seen a handful of ex-GR4 and GR9 guys arriving at Coningsby to do some time in the Typhoon sim, admittedly with the carrot of a tour in the jet afterwards.

There are a lot of us who would have enjoyed a broadening ground tour over the next few years while manning balance is achieved. Trouble is, as soon as you ask for something esoteric like a Flt Cdr job at recruit training, or a couple of years in an AFCO, they start the clock ticking to take your flying pay away.

For a relatively senior Flt Lt aircrew mate, the thought of losing flying pay is quite grim. I can accept the concept that if I volunteer to move aside from flying-related jobs, I should lose it after a while, but if I'm forced into a non-flying-related job because the service don't have one for me, it seems a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Your aircrew take a long time to train and therefore a long time to replace. A way to "hold" them aside for a tour, even in an out-of-branch position would be extremely popular if it didn't come with punitive measures.

What surprises me is while we're struggling to find places to put half our pilots, why do we still have 75% of our UAS posts filled by reservists?