PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 24th Dec 2011, 08:38
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how the IAG and BMI deal will affect future recruitment? I have no idea, but I'd hazard a guess that in the medium / term it would be a very positive effect.
It depends on whether the bmi pilots how/are "integrated" (or not) with the BA pilots. An issue not determined, and being worked on by the relevant parties.

If the bmi pilots are not integrated, my guess is it would affect future recruitment as it stands a lot - if IAG suceed in setting up a parallel LHR workforce to BA pilots, then there would be no recruitment into "BA" as we know it. All recruits go into the "new" outfit, essentially as with our CC now (Mixed Fleet) and IB Express pilots.

If bmi pilots are integrated, then recruitment will depend on numbers. Bear in mind we may have bmibaby pilots acquired by BA (which BA do not want), or some deal done with LH over bmibaby's employees. BA/LH are hardly going to pay redundancy (or even be allowed to?) whilst simultaneously recruiting.

For those in the Hold Pool I would keep a very close eye on it, and the implications. Depending on the way things go, and the "pick up" rate from the pool, possibilities are:
1. You might end up offered a job in "BA Express", the bmi part.
2. You might end up in "BA", but at the very bottom of a list that is then closed. Not a great place to be in a very seniority driven environment (v command / fleet / bidding prospects).
3. You might think you have one thing, but turn up on day 1 and get offered / find you have another.

Watch, think and move carefully