PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heikkis' Silhouette Challenge
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 11:36
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if it's the bad weather, or just millions of kids at home and online, but it's awful slow in these parts too!

Well done Ken, it is the Dorner Eindecker Typ III of 1911

Hermann Dorner (born May 27, 1882 in Wittenberg, died February 6, 1963 in Hannover) was among the first German powered aircraft designers. He studied nautical engineering in Berlin, graduated in 1909, and in the summer of 1910 he acquired the pilot license No. 18 of the Deutschen Luftfahrer-Verbandes (German pilots association).

In 1907 he had begun to develop a glider, to the nose of which an engine could be attached. Entering his self-designed powered monoplane, Dorner was the sole German who participated at the Erster Internationalen Flugwoche (first international flying week) in Johannisthal in September 1909, the first time a German powered aircraft was presented at a big event.

In 1910 the Dorner Flugzeug GmbH (Aircraft Ltd.) was formed. After Dorner ran into financial difficulties in 1912, he became an instructor at the Luftfahrerschule (pilot school) Adlershof, and the following year he became the technical director at the recently founded Deutsche Versuchsanstalt für Luftfahrt (German experimental institute for aviation.

Mid-1914 he and Heinrich Oelerich developed at the Deutsche Flugzeugwerke (DFW, German aircraft works) the DFW B.I and B. II.
Late 1915 he became chief designer of the DFW Riesenflugzeugabteilung (giant aircraft department ) at Leipzig-Lindenthal,

In 1916 he became chief engineer for aircraft engine development at the Hannoverschen Waggonfabrik, Abteilung Flugzeugbau (Hanover railway car factory, aircraft department) at Hannover-Linden, where he designed the Hannover CL Types. After WW I Dorner left the aviation scene.

This photo was from the Original 1912 Dorner Company brochure

skytrain10 has control