PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 and light plane
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 09:58
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Historically, for every case where continuing did not work out (Concorde), there are many more where the reject led to damage and injuries.

I guess I'm having a problem when you say runway length does not matter. I'll put my dispatcher hat on and say runway length always matters. Your TO weight is controlled by the length of the runway and V1, Vr and V2 are a function of your weight, adjusted for temp, PA and other things.

Or are you asking for a particular flight at a particular runway where you are not runway limited? I don't have a 525 manual and it's been a long time since I've flown a 500 so we'll make some numbers. Say for MTOW ISA day at SL we need 4000 feet to take off and 3500 feet to land. Throw in 4 seconds of "What was that?" and you're looking at 8000 feet. Are you saying if the runway is more than 8000 feet (in this example) you shouldn't reject at V1? I'll grant you that on a 12,000 foot runway you could most likely start rotating, change your mind and still stay on the runway. So now we have a new question - When are we committed to flying? Rotation? Lift off? Gear retraction? At some point you will be out of runway and you don't have any data to find that point.

You say it takes away the pilot's choice. I'd say it gives them more. You've got the time to think through and deal with the problem.