PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 09:26
Mach Two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEBF,

Thinking outside the box will not magic up the funding this would need. None of the Armed Forces have people just lying around doing nothing who could rebuild a fleet of aircraft in their spare time. Any fleet of aircraft has a minimum viable size in order to make it cost effective, let alone make it worth establishing the whole support organization that it requires. There is no economy of scale in 2 sea jets and a T4.

Having scrapped the jet (and a few more since), no politician is about to turn around and say that maybe we shouldn't have lost the capability after all. They certainly would never suggest that the MoD regeberates a capability on the cheap and the MoD would never say yes to such a suggestion anyway. In these days of cuts and reductions any new (or regenerated) capability HAS to be fully costed and funded and properly supported. If any of the forces were even to hint that it could generate something for nothing, the Government would be absolutely justified in looking very carefully at the spare capacity with a view to identifying further cuts.

I'm not Navy, but I can't imagine it's very different from my light blue environment. I don't see much spare fat around me now and the big reductions haven't even started to bite yet.

I don't think it's a goer, WEBF. There are plenty of more relevant capabilities that we need to get going in the fast jet world that we're struggling to fund. I can't see your nostalgia flight getting off the ground. I was as sorry as the next man to see SHAR/Harrier go, but it has gone, bonkers or not.