PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merry Christmas 2011
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 07:02
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Merry Christmas 2011

This is now my second Christmas on PPRuNe and I wanted to say that I am appreciative of the exchanges of information and opinions which are encountered here.

While I have 'dipped' into other forums across the site I couldn't help but notice that Rotorheads reflects a similar distinctiveness to that which is apparent in the rotary-wing world and which, for me, sets it apart from the other forums. Rotorheads is in fact my first experience of an online community - one through which I have rekindled several former acquaintances while at the same time cultivating new friendships.

During the past year I have come to appreciate some of the idiosyncrasies of specific members and have been educated on a number of issues with which I was previously unfamiliar - all of which have been great. I have also enjoyed a good few exchanges of light-hearted banter with those who are not averse to incorporating a pinch of joviality in their communications. Indeed, I try to keep alive the Colonel's adage that "If you can't have fun doing it .. it isn't worth doing!".

While predominantly "stuck in the past" on Rotorheads I find the contemporary issues no less interesting but .. history is a passion and I subscribe to the train of thought which says that one can only properly perceive the present if one is in possession of an understanding of the past and it is for this reason that I continue to relish the contributions to the various nostalgic threads on the forum.

A year ago I was able to isolate a group of Rotorheads for specific mention but this group has now swelled so as to make repeating this somewhat impractical. I will however mention two people who I believe are worthy of recognition:

Firstly Dennisimo, Dennis (The Menace) Kenyon turns 80 next year and I have to acknowledge what an incredible triumph his life has and continues to be. As a young lad I saw his spirited Enstrom displays (during the 70's) and now some 40 years later he is still at it .. wow! Of course Dennisimo's flying career spans much further back and which makes his achievement all the more impressive. Aside from his numerous airborne accomplishments one of the greatest things I admire about Dennis is his 'approachability'. Dennis has, for as long as I have known him, demonstrated an authentically humble (some might say self-deprecating) spirit and for which he earns my enduring respect.

One of the reasons the Rotary-world is slightly different from many other avenues of aviation is due to the tasks helicopters are often asked to perform and which frequently place craft and crew in harm's way. As a result most of us have lost legions of friends over the years. I compare this (for example) to my elder brother (a driver with BA for over 20 years now) who has never lost a single colleague! But, for Dennis, the 'Rotary Curse' struck much closer to home and which inexorable pain he has had to carry with him over the years. Many-a-time I have prayed for him and his family that they would be comforted. Dennis should know however that he has many other 'sons' out there (and I shamelessly include myself as one of them) who have observed his tenderness of heart, passion for flight and generally down-to-earth nature as inspirations. So, Dennisimo "The Maestro" all the best for the coming year - what an incredible achievement your life is dear friend!

Secondly Senior Pilot, our Rotorheads moderator, who has this year been flying solo after the departure of his long-serving co-pilot (Heliport). Much of his effort goes unnoticed as he diligently works behind the scenes repairing links, re-sizing photographs, answering PM's and generally making the forum 'work'. Crucially, when debates get heated or venture too far off course, he steps in with his usual aplomb and 'sorts it out'. His efforts make a huge difference to the Rotorheads environment. "All good and well" one might say "that's what he's paid to do" but .. I discovered this year that despite PPRuNe's commercial nature .. its moderators are volunteers. This, in my view, makes SP's contribution all the more noteworthy and I am sure I speak for many when I offer my sincere thanks for his tireless efforts.
~ ~ ~
All that remains is to wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and blesséd 2012.