PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jerry cans in aircraft
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 06:15
Horace Blok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From South Africa greetings and I wish you all a wonderful festive season.

What I'm about to type will probably be shot down but here goes.

When I MUST (I've done this once), I fly with as much as 80 litres of Mogas in my STCéd PA 22-150 with 4 X 20 litre metal jerry cans (good quality) in the back of the aerie. Avgas refuelling facilities are not as conveniently located as they once were.

I have an earth strap for all the cans. I ensure they are secure and I make every attempt to contain static by placing fabric (towels) between the cans. When I refuel, I attempt to do the right things right.

* - Neutralise the potential between the Jerry can and the aircraft by making contact with the nose wheel towing attachment and the Jerry Can - and I also have an earth strap I bond between both the Jerry Can and the aircraft when refuelling on top the wing.

* - I use a Mr Funnel - ensures that taints be they water or dirt stay out of the aircraft fuel system.

* - I check the vapour pressure. Being a high wing, its no problem really.

* - I check for Water.

* - I do NOT close the cans afterwards and leave the lids open.

** - This is probably the purpose of the post - what do you suggest? My logic says in the well ventilated aircraft I fly, no problem and obviously, any gas build up dangers are minimised. Am I correct??

* - I then repack them ensuring insulation/isolation from one another.

* - They are secured.

What more really is there to do?