PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Payday at Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 21:51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captplaystatn #923

"Could someone from "the compound" please answer my questions on post 923, as I fear they will vanish to 2nd last page courtesy of the talcum powder Mama "

I left Arik a year ago utterly frustrated by everything Nigerian. Late pay. Fighting to be reimbursed for expenses. Fighting for tickets home (to work never seemed to be a problem). Refusing to depart until my crew receives their night stop pay (the only leverage you will ever have). Ground workers trying to load old car engines in the cargo hold (full of oil??). Pedestrians walking across the runway while you are taking off or landing. Controllers lying about the weather. Pilots lying about their altitude and or their location. Unreliable navaids. Unbelievably dirty, bug infested motels. Constant threat of West African Malaria (the worst kind--it can kill you). Fire-trap base housing. Constant roar of generators (power outages)...

What I gave up: Some really good times with my fellow expats. Cold beer at the 'tree bar' (a parking lot with plastic tables and a few trees for shade). Late night talks over Don Simon and Sangria mix. I made some lifelong friends there. Some Nigerian pilots who were great people.

Someone else will have to answer your other questions, as I have been away too long to have current info.