PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 14:31
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how the IAG and BMI deal will affect future recruitment?
I have no idea, but I'd hazard a guess that in the medium / term it would be a very positive effect. Short term? who knows whilst it all settles down - and what resources the training department have, which will probably be the critical path.

Consider that, Yes IAG are getting a load of pilots with BMI, but they are also getting a load of slots, and a load of aircraft, all of which will require crews, so the net crew / airframe / slot ratios won't change very much. In fact if anything they will change for the positive, as BMI shorthaul is a basket case and hemorrhages money, so IAG are more likely (and have allready stated their intent) to use some of the slots for longhaul- which is more crew intensive.

Just my tuppenceworth, but thats the way I read it.

Personally I think its positive news all round, as the alternative for BMI is almost certainly insolvency / mass redundancy and a slot auction, and given our hopeless government's stance on aviation this is the only way that BA / IAG are going to see any expansion within the UK.